MADRID, Spain (2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup) - FIBA, the International Basketball Federation together with the Spanish Basketball Federation (FEB), on Wednesday held an 'Executive Summit' in Alcobendas, Spain, where it hosted senior management representatives from the international and Spanish sponsor partners of the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
The partners were given first-hand information about preparations for FIBA's flagship competition taking place in August-September 2014.
The event began with partners being told that the sale of sponsorship packages has been very successful and is already nearly complete with 550 days to go before the start of the tournament.
The following partners were presented:
• Beko, the international home appliance brand from Turkey, which will serve as the tournament's Presenting Sponsor.
• Four leading Spanish companies - CaixaBank, Endesa, Iberia and San Miguel - all of which have obtained the exclusive status of Event Sponsors.
• Mutua Madrilena and Halcon Viajes, who are both signed up as National Supporters.
These companies join FIBA’s seven long-term Global Partners: bwin, Champion, Intersport, Molten, Peak, Tissot and Turespana.
All companies have been granted exclusive communications rights in their respective product categories for this event.
The unprecedented dimension of the tournament, combined with the great value for the corporate community, has resulted in sponsorship sales being close to finalised. Discussions are on-going for the remaining two international and three National Supporters packages available.
At the event - which took place in ‘Espacio 2014’, the headquarters of the Local Organising Committee focusing on the organisation of next year's tournament - FIBA and FEB also provided updates on the tournament’s preparations and promotion, including:
• The innovative joint venture co-operation (JMB) between FIBA and FEB on all marketing aspects of the tournament.
• For the first time, the Final Round of the tournament will be in two main cities: Barcelona and Madrid.
• The launch of an international promotional campaign which will promote the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup on a scale never seen before. This includes activities all around the world, including the FIBA Basketball Road Show, allowing fans to experience the World Cup and find out about its players.
• Ticket sales will start earlier than ever - on 17 April 2013, exactly 500 days before the start of the Championship.
• The construction of a state-of-the-art arena in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and upgrades to the other venues are all going according to plan.
FIBA President Yvan Mainini said: "In a period when people regularly raise concerns about the state of the economy - especially in Europe - it is extremely encouraging to be able to count on a great group of companies. FIBA and FEB not only rely on their financial contributions, but just as importantly will need their promotional support to make the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup a resounding success worldwide."
FEB President Jose Luis Saez explained: "From the outset, it was our objective to grow the World Cup on two levels: the duration and scope of the event. With the road to the World Cup starting now, we extend the event from two weeks to 500 days.
"With the international campaign, we take the event outside of Spain and around the globe. We are very happy about the great co-operation with FIBA and look forward to working with them and all companies gathered here today to make this an unforgettable event."
About the FIBA Basketball World Cup - The FIBA Basketball World Cup, known from 1950 until 2010 as the FIBA World Championship, is the flagship event of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA).
The first-ever FIBA Basketball World Cup will take place from 30 August to 14 September 2014 in Spain. The host cities will be: Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Bilbao, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and Granada.
The winners of the FIBA Basketball World Cup get to celebrate their crowning moment by holding aloft the Naismith Trophy, named after the inventor of basketball, Dr James Naismith.
Go to fiba.com/spain2014 to find out more.